ServiceStack.Discovery.Consul RFC

That would be a breaking change, the Send API’s are a way to avoid reverse routing and use the pre-defined routes, so they only use the UrlResolver that’s injected with the pre-defined relative url.

So if I understand that correctly, if I wanted to allow Send(dto) requests, I’d have to implement my own method overloads or just have the client either throw an exception or never correctly resolve the uri for remote dto’s

Leads me back to the TryGetClientFor<T>() approach or creating extension overload client.Send(dto, true)

public static class ServiceClientExtensions
    {
        public static string Send<T>(this IServiceClientMeta client, T dto, bool useTypedResolver)
        {
            var method = dto.GetType().FirstAttribute<RouteAttribute>()?.Verbs.SplitOnFirst(',').FirstOrDefault() ?? "GET";
            return Consul.ResolveTypedUrl(client, method, dto);
        }
    }

Are you handling untyped UrlResolver as well? as you will be able to handle the url used with that.

The pre-defined routes are also predictable so you should also be able to fetch the Request DTO name with:

var parts = url.SplitOnFirst('?').First().Split('/');
if (parts.Length > 2 && 
    (parts[parts.Length - 2] == "reply" || parts[parts.Length - 2] == "oneway")) 
{
    var requestDtoName = parts[parts.Length-1];
}

I’d avoid using TryGetClientFor<T> at the call-site as it’s invasive and makes it harder to adopt it transparently in existing projects.

Not currently handling untyped at the moment but if the Send methods always use the predefined route formats, then as you say I can predict the requestDto name which I need to resolve the baseUri from consul.

I was trying to avoid having to think about registering both the requestDto names and all possible routes from the apphost but perhaps this would provide a more rounded solution.

Agree about avoiding TryGetClientFor<T> for being invasive. Rather not go down that route (pardon the pun) if at all possible.

p.s. thanks for all the help btw, much appreciated. :smile:

1 Like

Hey I’ve updated the behavior of the Send<T> API’s to use explicit Verb API’s (e.g. Get<T>) for Request DTO’s that are attributed with IVerb interfaces (e.g. IGet) in this commit.

Essentially it means these 2 API’s are equivalent:

public class GetFoo : IReturn<FooResponse>, IGet { ... }

var response = client.Get(new GetFoo { ... });
var response = client.Send(new GetFoo { ... });

Or using any other IVerb, e.g:

public class CreateFoo : IReturn<FooResponse>, IPost { ... }

var response = client.Post(new CreateFoo { ... });
var response = client.Send(new CreateFoo { ... });

This allows Request DTO’s marked with IVery interface using Send API’s to make use of the TypedUrlResolver just as if they called the client.Get<T> API’s directly.

This change is available from v4.0.55 that’s now available on MyGet.

Great, that should avoid the null reference exceptions when using the Send API’s without first configuring the UrlResolver delegate if the IVerb interface is implemented.

I’ve experimented with configuring the UrlResolver in the plugin to correctly resolve auto-generated routes so the Send api’s work anyway and will update the plugin once I’ve tested it, but when it comes to custom [Route] implementations, there really is very little that can be done with consul as far as I can tell.

All I can come up with for that, is that you would have to add the entire route table to each apphost as tags, iterate all registered apphosts to merge the route tables back together when resolving, somehow know the ordering and somehow avoid clashes of overly generic or fallback routes, then get the matching route url, then look that tag up in consul. ick!

Pretty sure that would be a disaster

Internally we are going with the fact that we simply cannot use custom routes to avoid that minefield.

1 Like

Hey Scott, I’m looking to formalize the API’s for calling both Internal and External Services with the new IServiceGateway interfaces which I’m going to start recommending everyone use to call other Services in future as they can be easily substituted and integrated with Discovery Services like Consul, so I’m also hoping you could add support for it in your Consul plugin.

It wont take much effort to support as the interfaces are already implemented in all Service Clients as as well as the new InProcessServiceGateway so your plugin would only need to alternate between the two - I show an example of this at the bottom of this post.

The InProcessServiceGateway is the default implementation of base.Gateway in ServiceStack’s base Service class which can now be used instead of ResolveService<T>() or ExecuteRequest() to call another Service, where you can execute a Service with just a Request DTO, e.g:

public class MyServices : Service
{
    public object Any(Request request)
    {
        return Gateway.Send(request.ConvertTo<ExternalRequest>());
    }
}

As I want to make calling Internal and External Services indistinguishable any Exceptions are automatically converted into WebServiceException - the same as would be thrown from a Service Client.

The IServiceGateway interfaces represent the minimal surface area required to support all of ServiceStack’s different calling conventions. GET, POST, etc requests can still be made by adding IGet, IPost, interface markers on the Request DTO’s and the ServiceGatewayExtensions.cs provide nicer convenience API’s when Request DTO’s implement IReturn<T> and IReturnVoid.

There’s both Sync:

public interface IServiceGateway
{
    /// Normal Request/Reply Services
    TResponse Send<TResponse>(object requestDto);

/// Auto Batched Request/Reply Requests
    List<TResponse> SendAll<TResponse>(IEnumerable<object> requestDtos);

/// OneWay Service
    void Publish(object requestDto);

/// Auto Batched OneWay Requests
    void PublishAll(IEnumerable<object> requestDtos);
}

And Async versions:

public interface IServiceGatewayAsync
{
    Task<TResponse> SendAsync<TResponse>(object requestDto, 
        CancellationToken token = default(CancellationToken));

Task<List<TResponse>> SendAllAsync<TResponse>(IEnumerable<object> requestDtos, 

Task PublishAsync(object requestDto, 

Task PublishAllAsync(IEnumerable<object> requestDtos, 
}

With tests for testing each calling convention in both ServiceGatewayTests.cs and ServiceGatewayTestsAsync.cs which run the same under different scenarios:

This is the easiest to support where you can just register a ServiceClient against the IServiceGateway interface and it will use that for all base.Gateway requests:

public override void Configure(Container container)
{
    container.Register<IServiceGateway>(c => new JsonServiceClient(baseUrl));
}
  • MixedServiceGatewayTests - Uses InProc for Internal Services and Service Client for external ones. When you need to support internal and external calls you’ll need to implement the IServiceGatewayFactory instead as you’ll need to capture the current IRequest in order to make in-process calls:
public interface IServiceGatewayFactory
{
    IServiceGateway GetServiceGateway(IRequest request);
}

To make it easy for you to create a IServiceGatewayFactory for Consul I’ve created a ServiceGatewayFactoryBase base class which allows you to implement it with the least effort required, basically you just need to implement IServiceGateway GetGateway(Type requestType) as seen in MixedServiceGatewayNativeAsyncTests tests.

This example Factory uses a convention to determine which Services should be called internally or externally based on whether the Request DTO Type Name contains “External”:

class ServiceGatewayFactory : ServiceGatewayFactoryBase
{
    public override IServiceGateway GetGateway(Type requestType)
    {
        var gateway = requestType.Name.Contains("External")
            ? new JsonServiceClient(baseUrl)
            : (IServiceGateway)localGateway;
        return gateway;
    }
}

Whereas your Consul implementation would need to look up the Request DTO Type based on the registry.

To get ServiceStack to use your implementation your plugin would just need to register an IServiceGatewayFactory in ServiceStack’s IOC. As the factory captures the current IRequest it’s not thread-safe to use as a singleton and needs to be registered with ReuseScope.None so a new instance is returned each time, e.g:

class AppHost : AppSelfHostBase
{
    public AppHost() 
        : base("Mixed AppHost Tests" typeof(MyServices).Assembly) { }

public override void Configure(Container container)
    {
        container.Register<IServiceGatewayFactory>(x => new ServiceGatewayFactory())
            .ReusedWithin(ReuseScope.None);
    }
}

The latest v4.0.55 on MyGet has these latest bits, I hope you can extend your Consul plugin to also register a Consul-aware IServiceGatewayFactory as seen above so users using this new API will be able to seamlessly adopt Consul discovery services when they want to decouple their application. Please let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

1 Like

This looks like it will fit with a plugin what I’m coding currently (tentatively namespaced ServiceStack.SimpleCloudControl). I’ve had many of the sub-plugins running solo for a while now. I am just finally getting everything in a single project so I can finally have more cluster-wide control of my various deployed services.

I had been looking at Consul, but i felt like it was too much extra stuff for our environment right now, and every service we have talks to a single redis endpoint already. So I have basic Redis-based discovery services working, as well as a shared PubSub channel for additional control plugins (caching policy, request logging policy, MQ control policy, AppSettings, etc.).
I’ll try wiring a IServiceGatewayFactory implementation and see if I can get a working sample up I could share. I’ve been hacking away with extension methods to call external services for a year or so, but this would be much cleaner.

1 Like

@rsafier Cool, a redis-backed discovery service could save an extra infrastructure process to manage for people who are already using Redis.

That was what I was thinking, its pretty lightweight, the core plugin is ~200 LOC.

I couldn’t find ServiceGatewayFactoryBase in the current nuget release (even after cleaning cache), but mimicked it, and everything just worked!

I need to do some more claenup/refining, but thinking this should cover the 100s of service-hosts / 10s of servers sized environment I typically deal without much fuss.
Nice work @mythz, the features just keep on coming :smile:

Looks good @mythz, I’ll take a look at updating the plugin in the next couple of days but it looks straightforward.

@rsafier We created the plugin as ServiceStack.Discovery.[Provider] as we thought others might implement against different providers (etcd, zookeeper etc), your Redis one sounds really interesting.

A few of the reasons we picked Consul was not necessarily it’s scalability (although it’s a plus) but it’s ability to run health checks against services (we hope to expand this feature to make it easier to just add delegates to the plugin config and have them autowired to an endpoint), the predictability and speed of round trip times for lookups using local agents across a loopback address (we aren’t interested in implementing gossip, elections, RAFT etc) and the round-trip times for auto selecting the closest/fastest route to a service.
We also have an implementation of IAppSettings using consul shared config running using their k/v store (still to release as a plugin).

As part of our future strategy we also want to be able to remotely manage service instances in a similar way to netflix’s simian army with conformity and janitor style services looping through consul registered services to interrogate servicestack metadata endpoints, and if required add failing health checks for them to deny them being returned to any clients, raise system notifications routed to service technical contacts etc, this way we can control or influence those services without those services needing to taking any additional dependencies other than service discovery or implement in each of them potentially fragile RPC style interfaces.

2 Likes

Just having a look at this and it raises a question for me. If the apphost knows all of its own operations and requestDTO types when it builds the metadata, why not check this in the base factory first and just provide a single method for the external resolver. It would simplify the process to avoid naming conventions and/or unnecessary lookups?

One additional comment unrelated to the above change.
If I wanted to automatically add health checks (a simple open connection test probably) for all registered db connections via IDbConnectionFactory or OrmLiteConnectionFactory, the registered names in the latter are not exposed and there isn’t anything like ‘State’ in the former’s interface. Any suggestions?

That application logic is not in the base class as it’s the purpose of the subclass to workout which IServiceGateway should be returned. You may not want to use the localGateway directly and return a decorated IServiceGateway with logging or any other app logic attached instead.

Anyway it’s just a simple check to workout whether the Request DTO is available locally, i.e:

var isLocal = HostContext.Metadata.RequestTypes.Contains(requestType)

That’s the changes up now @mythz

1 Like

Awesome, thx Scott! - it will serve as a perfect example of what’s enabled with the new ServiceGateway in the next release.

1 Like

no probs. should I release the updated package to nuget?
It has min dependency version of .55 set so shouldn’t auto-update existing clients…but I’m never 100% confident in nuget’s behaviour; or is it better to wait until you release .55? Don’t mind either way.

lastly, as before, happy to get any feedback (good or bad), PR’s etc from the community. We don’t have any contrib guidelines on our repo’s yet but it’s on the list!

No better not yet, hoping to publish v4.0.56 early next week - will ping you here just after I do.

I’m refactoring now to go with that pattern for the basic discovery component as it makes sense.

I cut the fat out of what I had so its just the core functionality. If either of you have suggestions I’m all ears.

https://gist.github.com/rsafier/4d28e484904404219805f11b56e89373

2 Likes

Is there any way I get get a list of the registered db connections in the factory, seems like you can only register and recall a connection using a name string?

OrmLiteConnectionFactory.NamedConnections maintains a dictionary of OrmLiteConnectionFactory - you can inspect the DB connection string from OrmLiteConnectionFactory.ConnectionString.