Authentication cookies not being sent by jquery Ajax

Hello,

We have an IdentityServer4 based OpenId/OAuth2 server implemented in our infrastructure and now I’m trying to use it to protect access to ServiceStack services using this plugin.

I’ve run into issues making this work with a simple JavaScript client application when the client, the service and the OAuth2 server are deployed on different machines. The service has the Cors plugin included and I can succesfully call an unprotected route from the JS client.

The problem arise when I need to call a protected endpoint since this time I have to execute 2 ajax calls:

• First call to /auth/{provider} for the service to authenticate itself with IdentityServer (it runs in client_credentials mode) and populate the auth session.
  • Second call to the protected (through [Authenticate] attribute) route to retrieve the actual information.

This is the client-side script to do that:

$.ajax({
            type: 'GET',
            crossDomain: true,
            url: 'https://web19-dev/sst1/auth/IdentityServer?format=json',
        })
        .done(function () {
            $.ajax({
                    type: "GET",
                    crossDomain: true,
                    url: "https://web19-dev/sst1/secure/buddy?format=json",
                    xhrFields: {
                        withCredentials: true
                    }
                })
                .done(function (response) {
                    log(response);
                })
                .fail(function (jqXHR, textStatus) {
                    alert("SST1 request failed: " + jqXHR.statusText);
                }); 
        })
        .fail(function (jqXHR, textStatus) {
            alert("Authenticate request failed " + jqXHR.statusText);
        });

I see the authentication cookies being sent after the /auth/provider call:

However, they’re not being sent back with the second ajax call, see below:

As a result I get the 401 unauthorized result back. Obviously the whole stuff works fine with everything on a development machine but I’m not able to figure out what am I missing here. Why are the authentication cookies not being preserved after the authentication call?

Thank you!

ServiceStack.Authentication.IdentityServer is a community project. Please raise an issue directly with the project where you’ll have a better chance at reaching @Mac who developed it.