Best way to Inject IDbConnectionFactory in .net core app

Hi,
I am using .net core injection (IServiceProvider) and I wonder how can I inject IDbConnectionFactory in order to avoid using (var db = this.dbConnection.Open()) each time.
Also, what is the best life cycle recommened? AddSingleton, AddTransient, AddScoped ?
Sort code sample would be great.

Thanks

Inside ServiceStack Services you don’t need to open a connection you can access the Db computed property directly, e.g:

public object Any(MyRequest request) => Db.Single<Table>(x => x.Id = request.Id);

After the request is completed when the Service is disposed it will also dispose the connection.

If you need access in a different dependency you can pass it in as an argument:

public object Any(MyRequest request) => MyRepo.GetTableById(Db, request.Id);

You’ll need use your Service Db connection if you want to utilize and of the Multitenancy features or fetch the connection from HostContext.AppHost.GetDbConnection(Request) manually.

Alternatively you can have a base class with a lazy property which is similar to how ServiceStack Services work, this is the implementation of ServiceStack’s RepositoryBase class:

public abstract class RepositoryBase : IDisposable, IRepository
{
    public virtual IDbConnectionFactory DbFactory { get; set; }

IDbConnection db;
    public virtual IDbConnection Db => db ?? (db = DbFactory.OpenDbConnection());

public virtual void Dispose() => db?.Dispose();
}

So your classes that need data access can also access the lazy Db property, e.g:

public MyRepo : RepositoryBase 
{
    public Table GetTableById(int id) => Db.SingleById<Table>(id);
}

As the IDbConnection is not threadsafe it should be registered as transient, only the IDbConnectionFactory should be registered as a singleton.

Thanks but at the moment im not using ServiceStack services. I am using .net core injection.

The lazy property approach in RepositoryBase still applies only that you’d need to use constructor injection since .net core DI doesn’t support property injection.

Otherwise you can use transient scope I just don’t like the lifecycle of important pooled resources left to a DI, inside a ServiceStack Service it’s disposed of immediately after the Service is executed so it’s returned to the pool immediately instead of whenever the DI disposes it.

So this should to be injected as transient to the constructor?

I’d only be injecting the singleton IDbConnectionFactory dependency, e.g:

public abstract class RepositoryBase : IDisposable, IRepository
{
    public IDbConnectionFactory DbFactory { get; }
    protected RepositoryBase(IDbConnectionFactory factory) => DbFactory=factory;

IDbConnection db;
    public virtual IDbConnection Db => db ??= DbFactory.OpenDbConnection();

public virtual void Dispose() => db?.Dispose();
}

The classes that inherit your base class would need to be transient, e.g:

public class MyRepo : RepositoryBase
{
    public MyRepo(IDbConnectionFactory factory) : base(factory) { }
}

//...

services.AddTransient<MyRepo>();

You could register the IDbConnection resource itself as transient, e.g:

services.AddSingleton<IDbConnectionFactory>(dbFactory);
services.AddTransient(c => c.Resolve<IDbConnectionFactory>().OpenDbConnection());

I’m just not a fan of relying on the DI life cycle for important resources.

I Agree with the last comment.
If ill see side effect, ill digg more.
Thank you!