Deployment - supervisord - Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.Systemd

Most of the deployment examples I found in the ServiceStack documentation are using supervisord.

Is it possible to do without supervisord ? I think the documentation pre-dates the release of Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.Systemd

Is there some doc using ‘service unit configuration’ files to configure ServiceStack services and use systemd directly instead of supervisord?

I found this:

Do you recommend this approach or still prefer supervisord, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

All our project templates are configured to deploy with Docker Compose using GitHub Actions, which is how we deploy all our Apps.

See this detailed blog post and video that explains how we now recommend doing .NET App deployments:

It’s a better isolated and more flexible deployment model which we can deploy any App with and after the initial setup it’s very easy to deploy new Apps to the same server which only requires setting GitHub Action Secrets to specify the website domain the App should be hosted at.

and as most of our project templates are already configured with the build and release GitHub actions to deploy the published .NET App it requires very little effort as documented in our GitHub Action Docker Compose deployments via SSH docs

Thanks, I’ve seen this and will use it in the future.

Unfortunately, for this project I need to deploy directly to a RHEL server.

I was curious to know if you had any experience with the other approach.

We also deploy to Amazon Linux (RHEL based distro) with this approach, otherwise if I couldn’t use Docker I’d deploy with rsync / supervisord which is a reliable way to host Apps which will autorestart on failure.

I’ve no experience running .NET Apps with systemd, but found a couple of articles on Google:

I’ll stick with supervisord for now.

One last question in your dev workflow do you use docker locally or only when you deploy?

Only when we deploy, whenever I run into issues with remote App deployments I’ll just open a bash shell into the container and inspect it on the remote host.

I only run infrastructure dependencies locally, e.g. RDBMS’s, Redis, TypeSense Server, etc. i.e. not the published .NET App itself.

1 Like

I managed to use the new Microsoft package for systemd and set up a rhel system without supervisord. It seems to be working fine.

I’ll let you know how it goes once it’s been in production for a while.

Maybe I’ll even find some time to write a procedure for this if you are interested.

It’s nice since you have journalctl integration, and everything is pretty much where a sysadmin not familiar with supervisord would expect things to be.

1 Like

Sure, feel free to submit a PR with any new docs to https://github.com/ServiceStack/docs.servicestack.net

You’re also welcome to credit yourself as the Author if you want.