Is the managed Oracle Data Provider for .NET now supported?

I’m a bit confused about the status concerning the implementation of Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Client by ServiceStack.OrmLite.Oracle provider. Based on these resources it seems not clear what the current status is:

• The Oracle Provider Notes here still tells that the Oracle provider requires an installation of Oracle’s unmanaged ODP.NET and that the fully-managed client is not supported.
  • On the other hand ServiceStack.OrmLite.Oracle OracleOrmLiteDialectProvider.cs class here uses Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Client.
  • The Nuget ServiceStack.OrmLite.Oracle package here lists e.g dotConnect.Express.for.Oracle as a dependency too.

At the end my question is whether Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Client is implemented by ServiceStack.OrmLite.Oracle. If not my question is if there is a way to avoid the installation of the ODP.NET Unmanaged Driver.

Is the managed Oracle Data Provider for .NET now supported?

No it was never developed or supported by ServiceStack, it was originally contributed by the community and maintained by different developers as they used it in their projects over time. The last developer to maintain it was @Mac who will be best person to answer any current or future questions about its planned development.

The current NuGet release on v5.50 did still use dotConnect.Express and ODP, after the release I merged @Mac’s changes where he switched to use Oracle.ManagedDataAccess and added .NET Core support.

This version is available from v5.5.1 pre-release that’s now available on MyGet.

So the current v5.5.0 release still uses ODP, but the next v5.6 and current v5.5.1 pre-release version has switched over to use Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.

Currently the switch to oracle managedataccess is not complete. I should have this in some working order before the next release.

1 Like