Junk values while reading from Redis

I am facing an issue getting junk values like ‘OK’ or ‘0’ or some ‘numeric’ values while reading values from Redis. This happens while reading normal key and hash keys as well. We have upgraded all the service stack components and still facing the issues. Please find the component details and the code snippet in c#

Our environment: We have setup sentinel, and each sentinel is paired with a Redis instance. Now we have setup three instances of sentinel and three instances of redis server. We were using read only client for reading values and read-write client for writing values to Redis. Even after using read-write client for reading and writing is also giving the same junk value problems.

Components:
ServiceStack.Common v 5.1.0.0
ServiceStack.Redis v 5.1.0.0
ServiceStack.Interfaces v 5.1.0.0
ServiceStack.Text v 5.1.0.0

Redis server v 3.0.503

code snippet (RedisManager class):

private static IredisClientManager m_redisManager;
initializeRedis()
{
    if(m_redisManager == null)
     {
          var sentinel = new RedisSentinel(
          "193.168.1.1:16380,193.168.1.2:16380,193.168.1.3:16380"
          ,"testmaster")
          {
              RefreshSentinelHostsAfter = 10;
          };
          sentinel.RedisManagerFactory += (master,slaves) 
                     => new RedisManagerPool(master);
          m_redisManager = sentinel.Start();
     }
}

public T GetValueFromHash<T>(string hashid, string key)
{
    var result = default(T);
   using(var client = m_redisManager.GetClient())
    {
      var redis = client.As<T>();
      var hash = redis.GetHash<string>(hashid);
      result = hash[key];
    }
return result;
}

client:

RedisManager manager = new RedisManager ();
var val = manager.GetValueFromHash(“devicehash”,“devicekey”);

Note:

1. m_redisManager is declared as static, so that it runs only once. Each call will share this manager 2. client is disposing after each call to get value 3. My application is a multi threaded, so reading from multiple thread may happen at the same time. And application is muti instancing from same machine and difeerent machine as well. 4. The above code is from component which interact with Redis. 5. Client will call GetValue function

What could be the problem? Please help

Getting junk/corrupted values is a typically an indication you’re using the same non-ThreadSafe RedisClient instance across multiple threads. This is prevented if you only used using(){...} statements in all your different threads, e.g. like you’re doing here:

using(var client = m_redisManager.GetClient())
{
      result = hash[key];
}

But since you’re not in this example, it wont be reproducible with what’s provided.

Unfortunately when using the same RedisClient instance across multiple threads you can’t easily determine the cause where the RedisClient was used incorrectly. But basically you need to ensure you’re always using the RedisClient in a using(){...} statement and that you’re never maintaining a RedisClient instance in a static field or using the same instance in a background thread. Each thread should resolve its own instance from the redisManager and dispose of it when its done.

If you can put together a stand-alone repro I can run locally to reproduce the issue (e.g. in a GitHub project or Gist) I will be able to determine what the issue is.

Mythz,

I am not caching any redisclient objects. As I mentioned in the previous post, I am caching only IredisClientManager object (see the code snippet: private static IredisClientManager m_redisManager;). As you can see in the code snippet, I have used using(){…} statement while creating client object.

I strictly followed all guidelines you have suggested and still it is happening. The most frustrating thing is it is not happening always.

So please look into this issue seriously and give us a solution ASAP.

In all cases this has been reported it’s always been misuse of the client instance. My suggestion is common things to look out for, I don’t have access to your source code or your environment to know what’s actually causing your issue.

Another thing to look out for was if you’re saving any redis server collections, e.g:

var list = redis.Lists["mylist"];

As the collection wraps a redis client so when you dispose the client it returns it to the pool, so the next time the list is accessed it could also be concurrently accessed the next time the client is retrieved from the pool with redisManager.GetClient(). The solution in this case if you need access to the List contents you will need to retrieve a local disconnected copy of the list with:

var list = redis.Lists["mylist"].GetAll();

We absolutely need a stand-alone verifiable repro we can run locally in order to be able to identify any issue. The issue doesn’t have to occur all the time, but it has to occur at least one time when running the repro for anyone to stand any chance at being able to identify it.

Since you’re using RedisSentinel one thing you can try is upgrading to v5.1.1 on MyGet which contains a fix for a locking issue on Sentinel failover. It didn’t exhibit this symptom so will unlikely have any affect, but it’s the easiest option you can try.

The other nuclear option if you don’t have a lot of traffic is to disable pooling by using a BasicRedisClientManager.

container.Register<IRedisClientsManager>(c => 
    new BasicRedisClientManager(redisConnectionString));

As each time you call redisManager.GetClient() it will return a new client connection which will prevent any concurrent reuse.

Is it advisable to use BasicRedisClientManager if I expect thousands (say 30000) of connections from different servers in every 2 seconds?

No, if you’re not pooling each new client pays the cost of opening a new TCP connection.

how can I upload a sample reproducible project?

Upload the project to GitHub and paste the link along with any instructions required to repro it here.

I have uploaded a sample project that creates junk/inconsistent values

URL: https://github.com/rajeshmgee/Redis_Junk_Values

Note: Here I am creating two hash tables 1. statusHash 2. LocationHash.
While running application, I can see the value getting copied from locationHash to statusHash and vice versa (please refer the image). And sometimes the key returns “\0” and “\1” as well.

I have run this application from two machines

This problem, I have noticed in normal key value pair as well.

What are the exact steps to repro? Running it just returns:

Still can’t repro it, but you absolutely should not be using the client after disposing it, e.g:

private bool SetEntryInHashExtn<T>(string hashid, string key, T value)
{
    var bReturn = false;

IRedisTypedClient<T> redis;
    using (var client = GetClient(true))
    {
        redis = client.As<T>();
    }
    bReturn = redis.SetEntryInHash(hash, key, value);

return bReturn;
}

All access needs to be done before disposing the client and returning it to the pool:

private bool SetEntryInHashExtn<T>(string hashid, string key, T value)
{
    using (var client = GetClient(true))
    {
        return redis.SetEntryInHash(hash, key, value);
    }
}

Steps to reproduce

1. Change the redis sentinel connection string in RedisSentinelAdapter.cs file (please make sure connection go through sentinel only)
  2. Run the application from two machine at same time
  3. Let it run for few hours.

You can see the values are interchanging between two hashtables (Please refer untitled.png file for reference).

Please update all your code to only access the redis client instance within a using statement as per my example, this has the same behavior as maintaining a reference to a redis server collection beyond the using scope I described above which would cause this issue.

I am doing that now. I will update you in few minutes with the results.
Sometimes I am able to reproduce it within seconds also!!!

As per your suggestion, I have modified the code everywhere and tried in sample application. So far it is working fine. Earlier I used to get the problem in few minutes.
I will merge this changes with development branch so that I can test from more machines in different context, and I will update you the status.
Are you able to reproduce it?
Thank you very much for your feedback.

This is exactly the type of incorrect usage I’m referring to throughout this thread which causes this exact issue reported. AFAIC this is the cause, if you have a verified repro with correct usage of the library I’ll spend more time re-investigating.

Can you look at the function: SearchKeysExtn(string pattern)

I have same issue here also. It returns junk values few times. Is there any code change required here? if not, why this happens?

The issue isn’t localized to just the methods with incorrect usage, if there’s anywhere that uses the Redis instance after its returned to the pool, it could result in corrupted response the next time the same instance is resolved and used.

But I am referring the redis client instance within these (redissentineladapter.cs) functions only. And each time I am disposing it.
I have changed all functions as you suggested.
Now my problem is, some time when I read some values from Redis it gives values like “0” OR “1” (intermittent). What could be the reason?

The function is (The function is there in the redissentineladapter.cs file):

private T GetValueFromHashExtn<T>(string hashID,string key)
{
    using(var client = m_redismanager.Getclient())
    {
        var hash = redis.GetHash<string>(hashid)
        return hash[key];
    }
}