Looking to move to new ServiceStack Community on TechStacks

As per the ServiceStack Community Announcement in the v5.1 Release Notes we’re looking at moving these Customer Forums over to ServiceStack on TechStacks if we’re able to get a majority of users to prefer it over these Discourse Forums.

I personally prefer it to Discourse because we have complete control over any new features and I’m much faster at adding content with the site-wide keyboard shortcuts and developer friendly GitHub-powered Markdown Editor. All of TechStacks is OSS and being actively developed on GitHub - it also serves as a good reference as a medium-sized ServiceStack SPA App powering both Web and Mobile clients.

So I’d like to know if there’s features you like from Discourse that are missing and you’d like to see on TechStacks? If there are please leave any suggestions or feedback in the comments on:

https://techstacks.io/posts/7092/what-can-we-do-to-improve-techstacks

In the meantime I’ll be monitoring an answering questions on here and on TechStacks in parallel, there’s also a daily import to fetch new posts from here into TechStacks.

This topic is now pinned. It will appear at the top of its category until it is unpinned by staff for everyone, or by individual users for themselves.

How I use / features I like about Discourse:

• Popup from bottom creation of posts / replys from anywhere
  • How it saves the last thing I typed into a new post / reply if I leave (sometimes I’ll come back a day later and finish what I started after debugging)
  • How the top right search works (saves the search as I go look at individual results, when I go to an issue in the list to view it, then click the spyglass again, it shows the results I previously had so I can keep digging easily).
  • Bookmarking / favoriting (I use this a lot to go back to posts that were helpful)

I find that your Discourse forums (and any other Discourse forums) are my favorite to work with.

Some things that I explicitly see missing from TechStacks:

Search through posts (maybe I just can’t find it?). I see the homepage I can search for Stacks, but not posts.
Specifically when I’m in the ServiceStack TechStack, there is no Search button anywhere

Issues I’ve had getting going with TechStacks:
I signed up with my GitHub initially, then found this post: https://techstacks.io/posts/7092/what-can-we-do-to-improve-techstacks

Under Sign In options it said I can sign in with my existing email and password (this did not work, I’m guessing it meant from the forums site?).
Signing in with my username from this forums site (la2texas) didn’t throw an invalid user or email/password error, but still shows me as not properly signed in to comment on the post.

1 Like

hmmm strange, login is working for me. Can you try again as I’ve updated some deps and made some other tweaks:

https://techstacks.io/login/servicestack

Yeah adding a full-text search solution is next on the TODO list, didn’t think about the reply to anywhere, will look into that as well thx!

1 Like

Yep, now I can comment :slight_smile:

I’m unable to login. I even reset my password on servicestack.com so I know it is correct.

Can I get email notifications (or the actual text) of new posts? I quite enjoy receiving them from the current forum as it helps me understand the platform as I try to read all of them especially your (mythz) answers.

Are you sure you’re using the right email? You can also add your GitHub UserName in your Support page and then login with GitHub.