ServiceStack with .NET 7?

Are there any known issues if I upgrade to .NET 7 when using ServiceStack 6.4.1?

I need to upgrade to benefit from Blazor WASM improvements, and would like to run the same .NET version throughout my technical stack.

We’ve not tried it ourselves yet but from what I’ve heard it has great backwards compatibility with .NET 6 so we’re not expecting any issues. Please report any that you do run into, we’ll be looking at testing an upgrading templates after the next release.

1 Like

Only changed required moving to Net7 was in Program.cs:

//Program.cs

// net6
app.UseEndpoints(endpoints =>
{
    endpoints.MapRazorPages();
    endpoints.MapControllers();
    endpoints.MapFallbackToFile("index.html");
});

//net7
app.MapRazorPages();
app.MapControllers();
app.MapFallbackToFile("index.html");

I also moved from ServiceStack 6.4.1 to 6.5.1 at the same time.

So far no issues seen.

2 Likes

@mythz I’m faced with an indirect issue - on .net 7 I need for Npgsql >= 7.0.0 but then when db provider is set by the next line:
OrmLiteConfig.DialectProvider = PostgreSqlDialect.Provider
I’m getting the next exception:
TypeLoadException: Could not load type ‘NpgsqlTypes.NpgsqlDate’ from assembly ‘Npgsql, Version=7.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5d8b90d52f46fda7’.

@tracstarr there are several breaking changes for Npgsql 6.0/7.0 which will cause issues when using Npgsql over later major versions, including the use of now removed date time types. It is on our radar to upgrade Npgsql to use a newer version, but there are quite a few breaking changes between each major version of Npgsql to work through to add that support.