Stefan Tsalapatis - 277 - May 2, 2014

We have  a requirement  to build a service,  which will  use for authentication the Azure Active Directory Graph.  Is it possible ServiceStack   to support it, soon ?   any user experience also, it would be helpful, thx

Johann Klemmack:

I have exactly the same issue.  My company recently moved to Office365 and while I can use AD / Windows Authentication internally right now, there is pressure to make our apps honor Azure Active Directory.  I’ve been playing with Azure’s OAuth support, but ran into some stumbling blocks out of the gate :frowning:

Stefan Tsalapatis:

+Johann Klemmack
 thx,  have you seen this source  ?   https://github.com/auth10/Auth10.WindowsAzureActiveDirectory

Supporting AD is definitely on the roadmap, but don’t have an ETA on it. I’d be first looking at integrating ASP.NET WindowsAuth then internal AD after that, hopefully Azure AD works the same way. 

Stefan Tsalapatis:

+Demis Bellot
I would like to ask if OWIN compatibility has been finally  excluded as a feature proposal.  because maybe it would be helpful for Azure AD authentication,  like this post says using NancyFX
 http://dhickey.ie/post/2014/01/04/Protecting-a-Self-Hosted-Nancy-API-with-MicrosoftOwinSecurityActiveDirectory.aspx

Authentication isn’t just being able to call into AD it also includes integration with the rest of SS Auth. I’ve already explained my position on OWIN on the feature request, it will be reconsidered once a new hosting option is available. OWIN support isn’t a trivial feature that you can just “tack-on”, it wants to redefine how you compose and configure your service host, which adds complexity, confusion that will increase the support burden. It’s not something I’m considering lightly.

Stefan Tsalapatis:

+Demis Bellot  Is it possible to get SS operate in 2 different states ?  as  it works normally  but also in  another state, as OWIN compatible ( this with basic functionality maybe) ?
BTW, we started to use  a special  error service which receive all errors  from other services or clients. It  can return  also instructions. Results are excellent.

What SS features are expected to be supported in this new OWIN compatible state? everything? Also note having multiple conflicting/competing “states” is exactly the confusion I’m trying to avoid.

Stefan Tsalapatis:

+Demis Bellot
personally, from SS,  I use only the REST  service functionality  (not ORM, not redis) FLUID  API and I am very happy with it.    I would like from OWIN, 2 things. If possible to be able to authenticate with Azure AD or Active Directory and the SignalR integration.   Otherwise I can use all the SS features in  a non OWIN compatible SS.

In an ideal world I’d like to have native support in SS for AD and WebSockets via Plugins that integrates nicely with the rest of SS. IMO one of the value propositions of SS is that its easy to compose and reason-about and for the most part things integrate nicely and “just works”. 

I’m aware support for SignalR in self-hosting is the primary reason for OWIN and am considering what the best story for SS + WebSockets would look like, it just takes time to execute.

Stefan Tsalapatis:

+Demis Bellot I would agree with you as you say “to have native support in SS for AD and WebSockets via Plugins that integrates nicely with the rest of SS.”