Stefan Tsalapatis - 447 - May 6, 2014

I would like to ask, if anybody has  some experience of automated deployment in Azure of   a self-hosted  ServiceStack  REST service ?
Is it possible ?

Stephen Brannan:

I haven’t done both of those together but I have done some with automated builds and also published to azure before. If this helps I believe the azure projects are just msbuild projects. As for self hosted you would use a worker role project type which is a type of an azure project.

Stefan Tsalapatis:

+Stephen Brannan
 Do you think , it is viable to automate the deployment,  of a self-hosted service, using the Azure SDK ? I have not experience, but it would be very useful .

Stephen Brannan:

I don’t believe you need the azure ask directly to automation publishing to azure. Msbuild will do it for you.

Stephen Brannan:

Azure sdk (sorry iPhone auto correct)

Jezz Santos:

We build and auto-deploy a number of ss services in Azure. Each ss service is a web role. We have a couple worker roles that do other stuff as well. We build locally and we run end to end integration tests in the azure emulator. We then commit changes to a CI buld server (our own VM that we also host in Azure). If all green, we auto-deploy the build into the staged environment in Azure. Staged to Prod is triggered manually.
Is this what you are talking about?

the only part of the picture we had to build ourselves was a custom base class for integration tests that automated creation and teardown of azure emulator during desktop and build server testing.

Stefan Tsalapatis:

+Jezz Santos
 All are useful to me. But mainly I have in my mind the auto-deploy. For customers using a new product, with a service-layer  in their private cloud.  We should have an automated way to install or updated  them , in the cloud, starting with Azure.

Jezz Santos:

The auto-deploy piece is performed by a TFS build definition that you get with a Visual Studio Online project (www.visualstudio.com). You set it up by connecting your Azure Cloud Service to Visual Studio Online. (see the Azure Management Portal).

Happy to share any of the details described above, just ask away!

Wayne Brantley:

I really like OctopusDeploy https://octopusdeploy.com/

Stefan Tsalapatis:

+Wayne Brantley
 Octopus seems good but expensive.

Wayne Brantley:

Free version will likely handle most situations!!